Job Title: Systems Strengthening Advisor
Location: Kigali, with travel to other regions as required
Schedule: Full Time
The objective of Soma Umenye is to improve reading outcomes in Kinyarwanda for at least 1 million children in public and government-aided schools in Rwanda. Specifically, Soma Umenye will target all children in Grades 1-3 attending public and government-aided schools nationwide and ensure that at least 70 percent of students are able to read grade-level text with fluency and comprehension.
Purpose of the position
The purpose of this is to implement and successfully deliver the Soma Umenye Systems Strengthening activities. This role will provide expert advice, leverage strong relationships throughout the Rwanda Education system, and support the creation, dissemination, and implementation of Soma Umenye interventions that support the systematical improvement of early grade reading outcomes in Rwanda.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Engage with government and non-governmental stakeholders in support of IR2 activities, including REB, MINEDUC, URCE, and district- and sector-level officials.
- Advise, liaise, coordinate, and support the development of the School Monitoring and Support Framework (SMSF) working closely with officials in the Basic Education Quality Assurance department, Ministry of Education and other relevant departments.
- Work closely with relevant government and school stakeholders to support the development, acceptance, and implementation of the SMSF.
- Work closely with relevant stakeholders and Soma Umenye technical team members to support the implementation of the ESSP3 in regard to EGR goals.
- Support to develop LEGRA instruments to measure early grade reading performance as well as key school-based indicators that correlate with strong early grade reading performance.
- Support the delivery and monitoring of a LEGRA in schools.
- Advice and support the development, utilization and of the ESSP3 Dashboard.
- Strengthen the capacity of districts to identify and respond to local and national EGR priorities.
- Work with DEOs, SEOs, and possibly Vice-Mayors of Social Affairs to support and advocate for the inclusion of early grade metrics in district plans and annual performance contracts.
- Contribute to activities related to strengthening the capacity of TTCs to prepare teachers to deliver evidence-based early grade reading instruction
- Contribute to the IR2 team’s reporting against the activities detailed in the work plan on a weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual basis
- Support fully the overall work of the IR2 team to fulfill the system strengthening activities identified in the work plan.
- Contribute to wider project technical team inputs to support overall project delivery, as required by the Chief of Party.
- Support the implementation of the National Literacy Policy
- Support transition of key Soma Umenye activities to GOR ownership
- An advanced degree in a relevant field, such as education, social sciences, or international development;
- At least 10 years’ experience in the education sector; a focus on early grade reading would be an asset;
- Extensive work experience in the Rwandan education system with a focus on supporting national-level systems change;
- In-depth knowledge of the current state of early grade reading in Rwanda;
- Experience working with international donors, particularly USAID, is an asset;
- Knowledge of strategies for institutional and individual capacity;
- Demonstrated team leadership experience;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills;
- Strong computer skills in MS Office;
- Strong project management skills;
- High attention to detail and accuracy;
- Clear thinking and effective decision making, ability to retain composure under pressure;
- Flexible approach with a commitment to meeting challenging deadlines
- Fluency in written and spoken English. Fluency in Kinyarwanda and French proficiency preferred.
The post Systems Strengthening Advisor at Cambridge Education appeared first on JobWebRwanda.