This position will be based in WFP Rwanda, Kigali country Office and the job holder will work under the direct supervision of the head of the smallholder agricultural market support (SAMS) unit. This position requires an experienced individual with a high degree of independence and will require management of more junior staff to ensure that programme and policy objectives are achieved in full. The job holder is expected to manage resources and coach and coordinate support staff, as well as liaise directly with government actors and other key-value chain partners (including private sector actors, development partners, and NGOs).
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
Within delegated authority, the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties:
- Contribute towards the development of market access support initiatives for smallholder farmers in a multi-stakeholder setting.
- Support the head of unit by providing project management support of all SAMS activities, ensuring a coordinated approach with wider smallholder support programmes that complies with WFP standards and procedures as well as common interest identified among value chain stakeholders.
- Research and analyze a range of policy and operational issues to inform the development of policies, programmes and activities.
- Liaise with internal and external WFP counterparts to ensure effective collaboration, monitor ongoing projects and highlight potential risks to project delivery.
- Support the head of unit to identify target farmer organizations and farmer-friendly aggregators by managing the selection and due diligence process; collect, analyze and assess profiles of target farmer organizations and their farm business management practice.
- Based on farmer data analysis, identify opportunities to build pro-smallholder staple value chains through partnerships with other key value chain stakeholders (aggregators, extension agents, input suppliers, credit providers and off-takers).
- Support the coordination of farmer training activities on agronomic practices, post-harvest handling and delivery planning; ensure effective knowledge transfer by instituting and leveraging the lead farmer structure within the supported farmer organizations.
- Assist the head of unit in the development of market-based business plans for the national Alliance and its implementation model across key value chain stakeholders.
- Provide technical support to the cooperating partners and monitor their performance to meet the project objectives.
- In consultation with the M&E & VAM units, coordinate data gathering and monitoring systems ensuring that rigorous quality standards are maintained.
- Perform other related duties as required.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: University degree in one or more of the following disciplines: economics, agriculture, business administration, or a field relevant to agricultural value chain management. An advanced degree in the relevant field is a plus.
Language: Fluency in English and Kinyarwanda; proficiency in both oral and written communication in both French and English will be an added value.
Experience: At least three years of experience in agribusiness, project management and value chain analysis with a strong focus on the private sector.
OTHER SPECIFIC JOB REQUIREMENTS
- Demonstrated knowledge of SMEs, pro-smallholder procurement and commercial agriculture models.
- Demonstrated ability to provide consistent and timely client service to meet the changing needs and expectations of clients, allowing clients to actively participate in and contribute to decisions that are relevant to their needs. Makes adjustments to services as required.
- Take ownership of assigned tasks, establish priorities and monitor your own work plan with minimum supervision.
- Ability to work in a team and establish effective working relations with results-oriented private sector partners as well as internal WFP clients.
- Good analytical skills; resourcefulness, initiative, the maturity of judgment, tact, and negotiating skills.
- Ability to perform and deliver results under time pressure.
- Excellent communication skills both orally and in writing and in multiple contexts.
- Ability to frequently travel within the country.
- Knowledge of various aspects of financial services and business modelling is a bonus.
- Strong ability to take initiative with research and analysis and produce valuable results in conditions of uncertainty; solid operational skills including problem-solving and project management skills, including the ability to work and deliver projects proactively and under pressure.
- Relevant experience in development and agricultural fields, with emphasis on pro-smallholder approaches; Experience in agriculture commercialization approaches; agronomy; and a strong understanding of policy analysis, regional trade, and marketing.
4Ps CORE ORGANISATIONAL CAPABILITIES
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Understands WFP’s Strategic Objectives and the link to own work objectives.
- Be a force for positive change: Flexibly adapts individual contributions to accommodate changes in direction from supervisors and internal/external changes (such as evolving needs of beneficiaries, new requirements of partners).
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Recognizes and shares with team members the ways in which individual contributions relate to WFP’s mission.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Sets own goals in alignment with WFP’s overall operations, and is able to communicate this link to others.
- Look for ways to strengthen people’s skills: Assesses own strengths and weaknesses to increase self-awareness, and includes these in conversations on own developmental needs.
- Create an inclusive culture: Participates in open dialogue, and values the diverse opinion of others, regardless of background, culture, experience, or country assignment.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Proactively seeks feedback and coaching to build confidence, and develop and improve individual skills.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Participates in accomplishing team activities and goals in the face of challenging circumstances.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Shows willingness to explore and experiment with new ideas and approaches in own work.
- Focus on getting results: Consistently delivers results within individual scope of work on time, on budget and without errors.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Commits to upholding individual accountabilities and responsibilities in the face of ever-changing country or functional priorities.
- Be Decisive: Makes rational decisions about individual activities when faced with uncertain circumstances, including in times of ambiguity regarding information or manager direction.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Seeks to understand and adapt to internal or cross-unit teams’ priorities and preferred working styles.
- Build strong external partnerships: Demonstrates the ability to understand and appropriately respond to and/or escalate the needs of external partners.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Portrays an informed and professional demeanor toward internal and external partners and stakeholders.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Provides operational support on analyses and assessments that quantify and demonstrate WFP’s unique value as a partner.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Eligibility: This position is open to Rwandan National only and all candidates are required to send online applications
Contract Type: Service Contract, Level 8
Duration of Post: 1-year renewable, subject to successful performance and availability of funds
WFP offers a competitive compensation package that will be determined by the contract type and selected candidate’s qualifications and experience.
For detailed information on working with WFP, please visit http://www.wfp.org and click on: “Our work” and “Countries” to learn more about WFP’s operations.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS 26 December 2019.
The post Smallholder Agricultural Market Support (SAMS) Officer at World Food Program (WFP) appeared first on JobWebRwanda.