Psychologist – Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF)
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international, independent, medical humanitarian organisation that delivers emergency aid to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, natural disasters and exclusion from healthcare. MSF offers assistance to people based on need, irrespective of race, religion, gender or political affiliation. MSF is therefore guided by the principles of neutrality and impartiality. These principles must apply to all MSF staff.
Direct Reports: Mental Health Activity Manager
Duty Station: Nduta Refugee Camp, Kibondo District
Town Residence: Kibondo Town
Providing psychological support to patients according to MSF principles, standards and procedures in order to improve the patients’ mental health.
Minimum Educational Qualification: Bachelor degree or diploma in Psychology
• Essential- 2 years’ experience minimum as a Psychologist
• Desirable -previous experience with MSF or other NGO’s in developing countries
• Demonstrated experience in Human resource management
• Languages: English (fluent, oral & written), French+ Swahili is an asset.
• Competences: Results and Quality Orientation, Teamwork and Cooperation, Behavioural Flexibility,
• Commitment to MSF Principles, Stress Management
• Carrying out evaluation of mental health needs of patients and establishing a diagnosis and a plan of treatment.
• Providing psychological support and psychotherapy sessions (individual, family, group) to patients according to MSF protocols in order to improve their mental health conditions
• Assisting and training staff members and resourceful people whenever necessary in order to enhance the scope of MH activities. Working in close collaboration with translators in order to ensure appropriate terminology and behaviour during sessions
• Collecting statistical and monitoring data about mental health activities
• Informing the supervisor and the medical team about any issues or problems that may arise related to patients’ treatment in order to provide the best possible solution from a medical perspective
• Ensuring that all patient information is kept confidential