|The World Food Programme (WFP)|
Jobs in Tanzania 2020: New Jobs Vacancies at The United Nations World Food Programme
Position: Innovation Field Hub Associate
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
Assisting almost 100 million people in around 83
countries each year, the World Food Programme (WFP) is the leading
humanitarian organization saving lives and changing lives, delivering
food assistance in emergencies and working with communities to improve
nutrition and build resilience. WFP partners with governments, other
international organizations and UN agencies, the private sector, and
more than 1,000 national and international NGOs in its operations to
provide food assistance and tackle the underlying causes of hunger.
We are currently seeking to fill an Innovation Associate position in our Innovation Field Hub, based in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania.
ABOUT THE INNOVATION HUB
believes that innovation is crucial to improving the lives of those
furthest behind. Bold, creative innovations in technology, nutrition and
agriculture have the potential to create extraordinary, life-changing
impact for millions of people.
To this end, WFP’s first Field
Innovation Hub (the Hub) was established in Tanzania in 2017. Now in its
third year, the Hub has laid the groundwork for catalysing Tanzania’s
innovation ecosystem and changing the way WFP approaches both current
and future operations. The Hub’s work is closely aligned with the
objectives of WFP Tanzania’s 2017-2021 country strategic plan, which
focuses on supporting the Government of Tanzania in its effort to
achieve the Sustainable Development Goals and in particular the Zero
Hunger 2030 agenda.
The Hub’s work in Tanzania focuses on four areas:
Identifying, matching and piloting innovation projects: We identify
challenges within the domains of WFP’s work such as smallholder
agriculture, nutrition, logistics, social protection, and emergency
response. We match these with local & international startups or
internal initiatives and provide funding and support to teams to refine
& pilot their solutions using human-centered design tools.
2)Exploring transformative innovation: We test new approaches to
innovation by leading a pioneering “moonshot” project that aims to
uncover radical solutions on longer, 10 year time horizons using
techniques such as systems mapping and scenario planning.
capacity of intra- and entrepreneurs: We support WFP colleagues as well
as external (aspiring) entrepreneurs to build their innovation and
business skills to develop and test their ideas.
4) Catalysing the
Tanzania innovation ecosystem:We play a key role in the Tanzania
innovation ecosystem by convening and supporting other hubs and UN
agencies through regular events, workshops and technical support.
Hub complements the global WFP Innovation Accelerator based in Munich,
Germany. Since its inception five years ago, the Accelerator has grown
to a team of 50 innovators from diverse backgrounds. The Accelerator was
named by Fast Company among the Best Workplaces for Innovators 2020 and
Innovation Team of the Year 2020 for its work in identifying,
nurturing, and scaling disruptive start-ups and innovations to end
global hunger. The Tanzania hub is the first dedicated WFP field team
for innovation initiatives and works very closely with the Accelerator
and the Country Office team in Tanzania to deliver on its objectives.
Check innovation.wfp.org for more information
ABOUT THE JOB
the direct supervision of the Programme Policy Officer Innovation, the
programme associate will support the WFP country office in growing and
managing the innovation services offered by the Innovation Hub, such as
innovation pilots, bootcamps, ecosystem events and others.
Service contract G6 equivalent.
The main tasks will be as follows:
Innovation project management
and facilitate the selection of projects for the WFP CO innovation
portfolio: local ventures and international pilots, in close
collaboration with the global WFP innovation accelerator
guidance of the Innovation Hub manager, drive high potential innovation
projects towards success by designing and implementing pilots
Innovation Services / Bootcamps
quality and client satisfaction with bootcamps and workshops: develop
and deliver high-quality events that have high satisfaction among
clients and users.
- Developing our portfolio of innovation
services: designing custom solutions for clients in the humanitarian and
private sector, including Bootcamps, events and workshops;
strong relationships: attract the right partners to achieve impact at
scale, gain a deep understanding of clients’ needs, and develop strong,
- Hire the right facilitators and other service providers to assure successful innovation events
- Support the delivery of innovation events: logistics, visas, travel etc.
- Manage procurement with partners: Catering, hotels, stationary etc.
- Liaising with service providers
- Manage the engagement with Tanzanian innovators and innovation players in the Tanzanian innovation ecosystem
- Establish pipeline sharing of high potential startups with other key innovation hubs in Tanzania.
- Identify with the Tanzanian innovation players if there is the need for small adhoc innovation events where WFP can support
- Design and execute communication campaigns to mobilize the Tanzania innovation ecosystem for your events
- Compile and send out the quarterly newsletters of the innovation hub
- Manage the SDG2 innovation whatsapp group in Tanzania
- Manage and update the Innovation hub webpage
- You have a high affinity with the Tanzanian innovation space; and you ideally have some startup-related experience
- A self-starter. You are full of initiative and great ideas. You need
little guidance, are comfortable working independently but are also a
great team player;
- A multi tasker. You like variety in your work, and are willing to tackle different challenges when the opportunity arises;
- An organiser with great attention to detail. Nothing slips past you,
you are a meticulous planner but are flexible enough to change course
when the situation requires you to do so;
- Driven by impact.
Achieving impact through your job is important to you, and you are
passionate about working towards achieving zero hunger.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field such as Business Administration, Communications, Marketing, or International Development.
- At least three years of relevant, progressively responsible,
professional experience in startup advisory, innovation project
management, product design, or management consultancy. Alternatively,
practical experience launching and managing a business is also valued.
Exposure to one of WFP’s programmatic focus areas including smallholder
agriculture, nutrition, and emergency response is a plus.
Knowledge and skills
- Familiar with human centered design and/or lean startup methodologies.
Strong business writing and professional verbal communication skills.
Highly organized with the ability to multitask and prioritize. Ideally
some technical or design skills, but G suite at a minimum.
- Fluency in oral and written English. Command of Kiswahili and other local languages is a plus.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
The application deadline: 08th September 2020
WFP agency standards and guidance.Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of
the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions
(ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance
Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection
Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system
with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and
within three years of ceasing that service.