Recruitment of an Individual Consultant for Strategic Support to Finance for Growth and Projects Management
Access to Finance Rwanda (AFR) was established in 2010 as a not-for-profit Company Limited by Guarantee (CLG), with the main objective of facilitating an inclusive financial sector that benefits the livelihood of low-income people in Rwanda. Access to Finance Rwanda is part of the Financial Sector Deepening (FSD) Network in Africa. Existing Funders of AFR include DFID, the MasterCard Foundation, Sweden and USAID.
AFR’s strategic objective is to reduce relative and absolute poverty in Rwanda. To do this, it stimulates financial sector development by partnering with financial institutions and other stakeholders to increase access to and use of financial services. We identify and address constraints that prevent the financial market from reaching Rwanda’s low-income population, and promote innovations and learning that result in sustainable change in the financial sector. Improving access and usage of financial services for the rural poor, women, disadvantaged, youth, and refugees is a particular focus.
The Individual Consultant will work closely with the AFR team to identify constraints which real sectors in the economy face and prioritize actions on those which the financial sector can actually affect thus embedding a clearer view of how the financial sector engages the real economy. This will be deeply grounded in the evolving market systems approach, which recognizes the role of different players such as public and private institutions as well as civil society in shaping financial market institutions and outcomes. Innovative financing mechanisms will be proposed that can ultimately lead to inclusive growth.
The Individual Consultant will ensure that a comprehensive portfolio of impactful projects are developed and implemented to high standards. This includes leading the development of Leasing, Export Finance, SME and Agribusiness financing strategies as well as capital markets development.
Reporting line: The position reports to the Director of Programs.
Scope of Responsibilities
Reporting to the Director of Programs, the Consultant will be responsible for the following key tasks:
- Co-ordinate research in order to understand the ecosystem of the Finance for Growth pillar and inform intervention frameworks
- Lead the development of Leasing, Export Finance, SME and Agribusiness financing strategies as well as strategies for more general Capital Markets development; ensuring that logical theories of change are defined and kept updated
- Develop and manage a portfolio of Implementing Partners and Projects which will collectively be effective in driving impact & systemic change
- Coordinate the roll-out of projects so that results are achieved, risks are managed and that quality projects are delivered; ensuring that learning from projects is fully utilized to maximize impact and innovation
- Actively participate in the development and implementation of AFR’s Communications plan; ensuring that the plan will result in widespread uptake of Finance for Growth Solutions and mindset change of the stakeholders who control the enabling environment for the Financial Markets Development space
- Lead the Finance for Growth stakeholders, in a manner that empowers them to deliver AFR’s goals and objectives
Education and Qualifications
- Professional qualification and relevant accreditations (Masters level qualification in Development Finance, Finance or a relevant field)
- Certification in Project Management (PMP/ PRINCE2) or Post Graduate diploma Project Management would be an added advantage.
Relevant Skills and Professional Experience
- 15 years of working experience in a financial markets environment (e.g. investment banking or development finance), with a strong track record in capital markets and/or exposure to project finance, private equity, corporate finance, and SMEs Support
- Knowledge of global regulation in financial markets; ability to understand the financial policy, laws, and regulations in Rwanda
- Good general knowledge of good accounting practice and high ethical & financial standards for managing funds
- Successful track record of negotiating financing transactions and crowding in Foreign Direct Investments (FDI).
- Strong stakeholder management skills, with a track record of building sound relationships with a range of international and domestic partners, including senior government members and Officials.
- Experience in strategic planning, risk management, monitoring, and evaluation.
- Understanding and appreciation of market system strengthening programs (e.g. M4P). Experience in strategy development and Execution, Investment Analysis and Management
- Industry-level experience from a developed financial center and some development country experience is an added advantage
- Confidence in overseeing and steering evidence generation, knowledge management, and sharing
- Experience of managing and analyzing research.
- Understanding of the development world & strategic Measurement and Results Management (MRM)
- Has gravitas, credibility, and ability to initiate and develop strategic partnerships and alliances
- Excellent written and spoken English
Period of engagement and place of work
The Individual Consultant will be based in Kigali, Rwanda for a period of nine (9) months renewable based on performance and funding availability.