International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC)
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), an impartial, neutral and independent humanitarian organisation has been permanently present in Rwanda since 1990. Having its headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland, the ICRC is given its mandate by the Geneva Conventions to protect victims of international and internal armed conflicts. We are looking for an enthusiastic and motivated person for the below position based in Kigali engaged under an open-ended contract.
Exciting Employment Opportunity with the ICRC in Rwanda
Position: Communication Manager
Duty Station:ICRC in Kigali, Rwanda
Reports to:Head of Delegation
The Communication Manager is the focal point at delegation level in Rwanda for all matters related to Communication and contribute to the Delegation prevention approach through an integrated approach (FAS/COM/JUR/PROT). S/he is responsible for setting and implementing communication priorities, objectives and strategies. S/he directs the orientation, planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the delegation’s Communication activities and supervises and provides technical support to all staff involved in them. S/he contributes to an integrated approach of Communication into other ICRC programmes (e.g. in protection, prevention, assistance, cooperation).
Generic Accountabilities and Responsibilities:
- Sets the strategic orientations of the delegation’s communication activities in cooperation with the management, field offices and other departments (annual planning/ PfR). With support from corresponding GVA units, Nairobi Regional Communication Centre(RCC)and regional specialists, formulates related guidelines, approaches and programs;
- Is in charge of the implementation, monitoring and evaluation of programmes related to communication which include: operational communication; community engagement; building National Red Cross/Red Crescent Society communication and joint Movement communication; public communication; digital communication (Facebook and Twitter); information analysis/environmental scanning;
- Contributes to the delegation’s analysis of political, security, military, humanitarian and other developments related to the ICRC’s reputation/perception management and capacity to operate in Rwanda. Defines, in consultation with the delegation’s management team, the delegation’s overall desired identity and key messages. Periodically reviews its external position in regard to issues related to its humanitarian mandate;
- Contributes to the Delegation understanding and analysis of regional dynamics including through proactive regular interactions with COM colleagues in the Great Lakes region;
- Supports and contributes to the development of the delegation’s broader network of contacts in line with anchoring and operational priorities;
- Represents the ICRC among diverse audiences in line with the delegation’s objectives;
- Supervises the development and production of internal and external communication tools/products/publications, including for digital platforms;
- Is in charge of ordering and managing the publications stock within the Delegation in close cooperation with the Logistic Department and ensure that ordered publications are used in due time;
- Advises the Management on internal communication issues when required;
- Supports the communication-related training and coaching for staff of other departments and field structures when needed.
- Build and maintain good relationship with a network of local, regional and international media and/or networks of journalists.
- Oversees the communication budget and expenses.
- Is in charge of ensuring the update of the country page for Rwanda on ICRC webpages (internal and public) and proactively contributes to promoting the Delegation activities internally such as through contribution to the Internal Bulletin and the Delegation news page on the team space;
Key Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree, or equivalent in a relevant field such as Communications, Political Science International Relations, Journalism or Law.
- Very good command of written and spoken English, French and Kinyarwanda
- Computer proficiency and ability to operate Microsoft Office packages
- 5 years’ work experience in a field relevant to Communication and/or Prevention (inside or outside the ICRC)
- 1-2 years’ field experience with the ICRC or other humanitarian organisation is an added advantage
- Team Management and Project Management experience is an asset.
This position gives the candidate the opportunity to work in a recognised international humanitarian organisation with a favourable working environment, good conditions and a lot of potential for personal and professional growth. Plus, the opportunities to learn and work with high level staff at both local and regional level.
The post Communication Manager at International Committee of the Red Cross ( ICRC) appeared first on JobWebRwanda.