Artificial Intelligence Skills and Ecosystem Advisor for The FAIR Forward – Artificial Intelligence Programme
The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is a federally owned international cooperation enterprise for sustainable development with worldwide operations. GIZ has worked in Rwanda for over 30 years. The primary objectives between the Government of Rwanda and the Federal Republic of Germany are poverty reduction and promotion of sustainable development. To achieve these objectives, GIZ Rwanda is active in the sectors of Decentralization and Good Governance, Economic Development and Employment Promotion, Energy and ICT (Information and Communications Technology).
“FAIR Forward – Artificial Intelligence for All” is a global initiative of German Development Cooperation. It strives for a more open, inclusive and sustainable approach to AI on the international level. Its principal objective is to assist selected partner countries in developing their AI ecosystems for the development of local AI solutions. These local AI solutions can then help to foster sustainable human and economic development. To achieve this, the initiative is working together with five partner countries: Ghana, Rwanda, South Africa, Uganda and India. To lay the foundations for developing local AI, the initiative pursues the following three goals:
1) Strengthen Local Skills and Knowledge in AI – Capacity Building;
2) Remove Barriers of Entry to Developing AI – Access to Training Data and AI Technologies for Local Innovation;
3) Develop AI Policy Frameworks – Ethical AI, Data Protection and Privacy
In Rwanda, the initiative is implementing activities in all three of the above areas. This includes, among others, the implementation of trainings and fellowship programmes on AI, the creation of a local voice dataset in Kinyarwanda and the development of voice technology use cases, and the development of a national AI policy. The main partner of FAIR Forward in Rwanda is the Rwanda Utilities Regulatory Authority (RURA).
GIZ Rwanda is searching candidates for the position of Artificial Intelligence Skills and Ecosystem Expert for the FAIR Forward – Artificial Intelligence for all programme.
The Artificial Intelligence Skills and Ecosystem Expert is responsible for:
- Planning and implementing selected FAIR Forward activities in Rwanda under the guidance of the global FAIR Forward team
- Building and maintaining relationships with programme stakeholders and partners
- Contributing actively to reports (regular and ad-hoc), PR materials, and other related tasks to reporting and communication.
- Identifying and using synergies with other GIZ projects in Rwanda
The Artificial Intelligence Skills and Ecosystem Expert performs the following tasks:
- Support the design and implementation of AI skills programmes such as trainings and fellowship programmes
- Organize events such as workshops, community meetups and meetings of FAIR Forward steering structure
- Support in the field of communication, public relations, preparation of fact sheets, including social media and newsletters
- Support the preparation of contracts, preparation of Terms of Reference and other project documents
- Support the management of subcontractors and supervision of events, consultancies and studies, and monitoring and evaluation of FAIR Forward measures in Rwanda
- Manage meetings and events with stakeholders and service providers (preparation, implementation, follow-up)
- Facilitate administrative and logistical procedures for activities in coordination with the GIZ administration team
- Ensure knowledge transfer within the global implementing team of FAIR Forward
- Support and execution of any other tasks assigned to by the management
Required qualifications, competences and experience
- Bachelors’ in computer engineering, business administration, public policy, international relations, or related field
- At least 3 years’ professional experience in a comparable position
- Strong understanding of AI and emerging technologies more broadly, including its opportunities and challenges in the context of sustainable development
- Experience with ecosystem and community building around emerging technologies
- Experience in organization and implementation of events and workshops
- Experience in project management, ideally in the area of digital transformation and/or international cooperation
- Experience in developing and implementing training programmes for emerging technologies is a plus
- Applied knowledge in a relevant technical field such as programming, machine learning, statistics or similar is considered a plus
Other knowledge, additional competences
- Finely tuned organizational skills and ability to work on one’s own initiative
- Ability to build and manage internal and external relationships and build strategic partnerships and networks
- Proactive in the development and implementation of ideas and proposals
- Willingness to and experience in working in a multi-national remote team
- Able to work under little supervision but at the same time being a real team player
- Good knowledge of English and Kinyarwanda. French or German would be an asset
- Willingness to upskill as required by the tasks to be performed
The post Artificial Intelligence Skills and Ecosystem Advisor at GIZ Rwanda appeared first on Jobweb Rwanda.