Danish Refugee Council – Tanzania
Protection Assistants – community based (5) – NATIONAL POSITION
Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is an international non-governmental organization which provides assistance and promotes durable solutions for refugees and internally displaced people, on the basis of humanitarian principles and human rights.
Danish Refugee Council is a humanitarian actor in Tanzania. Since 2015, as part of the Burundian Refugee Response in Tanzania, DRC works in the sectors of camp management, community based protection, livelihoods, protections, WASH, General Food Distributions and shelter/ small infrastructure in Nduta & Mtendeli camps. Starting from January, 2020, DRC will be implementing Camp management, Community based protection and Livelihoods projects in Nyarugusu refugee camp.
Name of the Position: – Protection Assistants
Reports to: – Protection Team Leaders
Duty Station: – Mtendeli, Nduta & Nyarugusu Refugee camps
Start date: 02-01-2020
Duration: 12 months
The Protection Assistant – community based under the management and supervision of the Protection Team Leaders – Community based and in close collaboration with the camp-based government and UNHCR coordination bodies will be responsible for direct implementation of community based activities in the camp.
Tasks and responsibilities of the position
- Ensure that the leadership structure is in place, follow up regularly on the performance of community leaders and conduct regular meetings with Community Leaders.
- Support the leaders’ development by identifying needs, gaps and suggest best ways to address them.
- Conduct election and re-election of community leaders and provide orientation and training on Code of Conduct and PSEA to newly elected leaders.
- Conduct regular monitoring visits to the zones, villages and Nyumba kumi/clusters
- Hold regular meetings with leadership representatives and community itself to gather feedback and challenges/barriers in accessing services in the camp.
- Prepare and lead the community leaders’ meetings and make sure that the minutes and feedback are shared on time.
- organize weekly Information dissemination campaigns to improve the communication between agencies and refugees in the camp.
- organize community engagement activities such as town hall meetings.
- Work closely with partner agencies through coordination on the information/feedback needs to and from the refugee community.
- ensure the different committees are in place and operational and coordinate meetings between committees and partners.
- Receive individual concerns/complaints at the help desk (mobile or in situ) and take proper actions including verbal advice, writing referrals and provision of accurate information.
- Follow the referral pathways between DRC and other humanitarian actors and make follow up of the issues raised to ensure feedback is provided on time
- Ensure proper recording of complaints received and actions taken and provide timely and accurate data and information to data entry and analysis officer
- Ensure all groups in the community including PSN, women at risk and other vulnerable groups have safe and dignified access to the community-based feedback mechanism
- Manage the incentive workers team, manage their attendance and report any issues of concern to Protection Team Leader [community-based]
- Ensure accurate documentation of activities and keep all documents in order and safely (e.g. distribution lists etc.)
- Keep an updated database of names and addresses of all community leaders/members of committees
- Prepare reports (weekly/monthly) on the activities done and submit timely to Protection Team Leader [community-based]
- Any other activities assigned by the Protection Team Leader [community-based] and Protection Manage
- Diploma or Bachelor degree in Community Development, Social work, psychology, political science, development, law or other related fields;
- 1-year work experience in related field;
- previous experience working with refugees or other vulnerable populations;
- previous experience working in international NGO;
- Excellent interpersonal and problem-solving skills, creativity and flexibility;
- ability to engage with community members in an open manner, maintain confidentiality and respect;
- Flexibility in working hours when needed;
- Computer literacy (Microsoft Word and Excel)
- Comfortable in a multi-cultural environment, flexible and able to handle pressure well;
- Ability to communicate and write reports in English;
- Language ability in Kiha, Kirundi and French considered and advantage.
The position is open to Tanzanian citizens only.
Terms of Employment:
Salary and conditions in accordance with DRC’s Terms of Employment for National Staff in Tanzania and based on UNHCR Tanzania’s salary scale for IP National Staff.
Interested candidates should submit their application including cover letter and updated CV online No hardcopy application will be accepted
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis before the deadline. Deadline for applications is 22nd December 2019.
We encourage all qualified candidates to apply irrespective of origin, gender or age.
For further information about Danish Refugee Council, please go to www.drc.ngo
Closing Date: 22 December, 2019